Journalism is not the next fashion statement

Student-made newspaper hats demonstrate the attitude some students may have toward Glenbrook North’s student-run publication. These hats reflect negligence towards news in the community and the disregard that some members of the student body have for the work of their peers. Graphic by Alex Garibashvily

Over the years, I’ve seen the pages of the Torch used in unconventional ways, but seeing them worn as hats has stopped me in my tracks.

These newspaper hats appear on publication day when a select number of students decide that the newspaper would be better worn than read. The idea that some students refuse to read the Torch is not new, and there are always some students who decline a paper. But, students’ actions have a completely different message when the pages of the newspaper are turned into an accessory. Seeing the few hats worn throughout the hallways makes me wonder: How much do students value news?

Many students do spend time reading the Torch and learning about what’s happening in the community. Torch staff members, myself included, have been acknowledged for our work in both positive and negative ways. After the previous issue was published, a classmate of mine told me he enjoyed the article I wrote when we passed each other in the hallway. In contrast, when my article on cheating during E-Learning was published, mocking comments were left on the Instagram post that featured the article. 

Torch is a student-run newspaper for a reason, so that students can read about important topics that may pertain to them. I only hope that the students who wear the paper have at least read it. I hope they read about the cost concussions have on athletes, because it’s necessary for athletes to be aware of the risks they’re taking and how to minimize those risks. I hope that they read about how exhaustion has impacted students and staff members returning to in-person learning. 

Students cannot ignore current events and news if they seek to meaningfully participate and contribute to society. Knowing what’s happening in one’s community is necessary in order to serve the world and benefit others through any future career or role in society. It starts by reading local newspapers, like the Torch. 

Journalism is not the next fashion statement. To the Torch hatmakers, thank you for demonstrating how to reject an opportunity to learn more about one’s community and the people in it.